Thursday, April 7, 2011

Make your own Granola Bars!


I have tried this recipe many times and I love it! It's cheap and fast. I have a thing for oatmeal which means I love granola bars. If you come up with any variations let me know. I would love to try new ones. Here is the recipe:
  1. 1 cup honey
  2. 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
  3. 2 2/3 cups rolled oats (I use quick oats)
  4. 1 cup whole wheat flour
  5. 1 tsp. cinnamon
  6. 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  7. 1/3 cup wheat germ
  8. 2 cups mix-ins in any combination of the following: coconut, raisins, chocolate or carob chips, unsalted nuts, any finely chopped dried fruit such as dates, apricots, apples, etc.
  • mix honey and pb until smooth
  • stir oats, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, wheatgerm and mix-ins
  • if it seems to dry add a little bit of water 1 Tbs at a time
  • if it seems to sticky, add oatmeal 1 Tbs at a time
  • mixture should be slightly sticky but easy to spread
  • spread into a lightly greased 9x13 pan
  • bake at 350 until lightly brown (usually for me it is about 7 minutes)
  • Do not overbake!
  • cut while they are warm
  • when cool remove from the pan with a spatula
  • wrap each bar separately in plastic wrap and place in ziploc bags or air tight container
  • freeze the extras
Makes about 2 dozen bars

No comments:

Post a Comment